Mundenhof Zoo, nature park and animal sanctuary is open all year round and has been since 1968. Animals from all over the world can be found in a relatively free environment.
The entrance to the animal enclosure is completely free of charge and hence there exists an open donation policy - if you wish to donate, then it will be gladly accepted. That said, a parking fee of 5 Euro ensures that the zoo does not go without income.
A map of where the animals are around the open park can be found here.
Events at the zoo cost 2 Euros per adult and children get in for free.
If you wish to go to Mundenhof more than a few times in a year, then 20 Euro buys you a yearly event ticket and 30 Euros pays for a year's parking, which is more than good value. To order one of these tickets simply call the telephone number given in this article.
How to get there?
- With the number 1 tram, get off at Paduaallee and walk for 30 minutes following the signposts to Mundenhof.
- With the number 6 tram, get off at Bollerstaudenweg and walk for 20 minutes following the footpath signs to Mundenhof
- With the number 19 bus, take it directly to Mundenhof - note that this bus only goes to Mundenhof three times a day, sometimes as far as the zoo, sometimes only to the carpark.
- With a bicycle, take the "Dreisam Radweg" cycle path along the Dreisam river from the city centre and beyond, as you approach Betzenhausen there are signs pointing to Mundenhof, follow them!
- With a car, drive from the city centre on the dual carriageway "Autobahn Zubringer" (towards the autobahn) and get off at "Lehen, Mundenhof", follow signs thereafter to Mundenhof and pay the 5 Euro parking fee.
- Many people/visitors from the Rieselfeld district of Freiburg take the pleasant walk from Rieselfeld directly to Mundenhof. The path is well maintained but it will take a minimum of half an hour, depending on walking speed!
Every summer, the Zelt Musik Festival takes place at Mundenhof (ZMF as it is known, "Tent Music Festival Freiburg"). Live bands, comedy and theatre, both local and not so local, entertain the audience for a fortnight. Look out for the red placards dotted around the city to see the full line-up of acts. During this time, it is also possible to visit the zoo although some of the animals are put into enclosures during loud music events, presumably as they're not great fans of loud music.
Lots of other events take place around the yearly calendar and more info on events can be found by visiting http://www.mundenhof.freiburg.de and clicking Jahresprogramm in the main menu.
The restaurant at Mundenhof is open from 10:00 to 21:00 in summertime and from 11:00 to 18:00 the rest of the year. Telephone 0761/ 894219 for more information about the restaurant.