The "Alten Münsterbauhütte" (Old Cathedral Construction Cottage) was built in 1565 as a workshop for the Münsterfabrik (an organization dedicated to the cathedral's maintenance and restoration). Originally a one-story building, a second Fachwerk (half-timbered) story was added in 1600.
This addition was first used as an apartment for the shop master, and then later for the tower watch. It is Freiburg's only remaining example of a house with visible half timbers from the Late Middle Ages.
In times when no work was being done on the Cathedral, the house was used as a storage place for salt or market stands.