The Schlossbergbahn, or Castle Hill Railway, is a funicular railway in the town of Freiburg im Breisgau in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It links the city centre with the Schlossberg hill.
The funicular was constructed in 2008, in order to replace a previous cable car. It is operated by the Schlossbergbahn GmbH & Co. KG.
Perfect for those who want to visit the Schlossberg or the beer garden at the top of the hill but not able (or wanting) to climb up the hill on foot.
It operates daily between 09:00 and 22:00 (18:00 on Tuesdays).
The funicular has the following technical parameters:
- Length: 262 metres (860 ft)
- Height: 73.30 metres (240.5 ft)
- Maximum Steepness: 22%
- Configuration: Single track
- Cars: 1
- Capacity: 25 passengers per car
- Speed: 1.5 metres per second (4.9 ft/s)
- Journey time: 3 minutes
- Track gauge: 1.2 metres (3 ft 11 in)
- Traction: Electricity
More information and prices can be found at the website: http://www.schlossberg-bahn.de/